Saturday 7 January 2012

Sitting In The Back Seat

     Most Sundays I provide a lift to Church for an aged lady. This lady, in her 80's, sits with another elderly lady - both of them in the back pew of the Church. Recently these two have 'fallen out' over some small matters. A touch of Alzheimers has not helped. It now falls to me to sit between them and maintain the peace. This is a job I am willing to undertake as it allows what has been a caring friendship between the two of them to continue, albeit in a slightly different form.
     Unfortunately the lady I provide the lift for is partially blind and hard of hearing. She also has problems staying awake during the service. As a result she spends most of the service asleep in my lap stirring only when I stand for the hymns.
     What a lovely lady she really is though, once you get to know her. Her life has been very difficult and she now finds herself in a foreign land and in a nursing home with others she has nothing in common with and a family she believes has abandoned her. Thank God that her beliefs give her a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment